Limited Ingredient Diets
Limited ingredient diets minimize the number of ingredients that pets are exposed to, which can be helpful for pet parents looking for simple formulas with simple ingredients.
Natural Balance® LID Limited Ingredient Diets® foods and our LIT Limited Ingredient Treats® provide unique alternatives for pets, including:
- True limited ingredient formulas, with single-sources of animal protein and limited carbohydrate sources
- The most extensive selection of unique proteins including duck, venison, bison, and lamb
- Complete lines of limited ingredient offerings for both cats and dogs, including dry and canned formulas and treats!
Explore the FAQs to discover more!
How can I limit the ingredients my pet is exposed to?
Feeding formulas with limited ingredients is a great way to minimize their exposure to ingredients. Limited ingredient formulas have a restricted number of protein and carbohydrate sources.
How should I go about trying a limited ingredient diet for my pet?
Food trials on a limited ingredient diet should take place over at least 12 weeks using a novel protein and carbohydrate source that the pet has not had before. No other treats or food items should be fed during these first twelve weeks.
How else can I limit my pet’s exposure to certain ingredients?
Pets that can benefit from a limited ingredient diet should not have unsupervised access to human foods, garbage, or outdoor areas where they can ingest plants.
I primarily feed dry food, but I also occasionally give my pet canned food and treats. Can I still do this with a limited ingredient diet?
Yes. Simply match the protein and carbohydrate sources of your LID Limited Ingredient Diets® Dry Formula with the appropriate LID Limited Ingredient Diets® Canned Formula and/or L.I.T. Limited Ingredient Treats® Formulas.
For example, if chicken and sweet potato are the protein and carbohydrate sources in your dog’s limited ingredient diet, you can feed these Natural Balance® formulas:
- LID Limited Ingredient Diets® Chicken & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Formula
- LID Limited Ingredient Diets® Chicken & Sweet Potato Canned Dog Formula
You can also choose from five L.I.T. Limited Ingredient Treats® Formulas—including Dental Chews—that offer chicken and sweet potato!